Monday, July 6, 2009

Christmas in July?

It has long been lamented that Christmas has become commercialized and more of a secular tradition than a celebration of the birth of our Savior.
It occurred to me while watching one of the thousands of fireworks shows that took place across the nation that Independence Day is no different. I looked at the large crowd gathered where I and my family were and wondered how many of them, or of the tens of millions likewise congregated, really understand anymore what we are commemorating. Or is it just a fun activity and excuse to take a day off work and have a BBQ?
Do they realize how far the current condition of our republic is removed from that envisioned by our founders? Do they care?
It is not unusual for me to hold back tears while watching the annual celebration. What was unusual is that this time they were not so much tears of appreciation for our great republic as they were tears of mourning for her.

No comments: