Monday, March 29, 2010

My Visit to Ronald Reagan's Library

I came away from a visit to the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library last weekend with renewed peace. I came away inspired. There have been men worthy of our regard and our trust, even in our not so distant past. We walked through the library with our son-in-law Navy seabee and his bride, and I felt proud of an American leader.

Although still skeptical, we spoke to a man outside who had a Marine t-shirt on, and was clutching a framed photo. We helped he and his wife take a picture, and I asked him about the picture he was holding. It was a picture of him, in full dress uniform, standing in front of President Reagan and his helicopter, back when he was in service. I had to ask, "Seriously, what was he like?" The response encouraged me: "He was a real man. A great man. So gracious and honorable." I posted that to my facebook page, and a HS friend chimed in: "I was there, too. I agree!"

So I swallowed my wallet and paid $17 for a reproduction of a plaque that this good man had on his desk. It now stands on my desk as a reminder for my own personal fights, and the fight for our nation. It is strengthening me every time I see it. Borrow it if you wish... Battles will be lost -- we can win the war. Fight - in any way you can. And BELIEVE. Have HOPE. And CHARITY.

"It CAN be done." God bless you, President Reagan. I'll remember.

No comments: