Monday, June 8, 2009

Taking Back Our State

Submitted by Jarrod White.

[At the Book Club Meeting], one of the things we discussed was how to grab the ear of our State representatives and to turn their attention to State rights as described in the 10th of amendment of the Constitution. I spent a better part of the morning going over the activities of our representatives Warde Nichols and Steven Yarbrough.

I am happy to report that Warde Nichols cosponsored HCR2024.

This bill reasserts the limitations of the federal government as described in the 10th amendment. Further this bill passed the House Committee in April. The debate is interesting:

Forward this video clip to 21 minutes
.

I am not sure how this bill moves along now as I am still learning. I think it goes to the floor for a full house vote and then goes the Senate. I am not sure what we can do to get behind this type of thing.

I was also looking at the volume of bills and resolutions going on right now (hundreds). It is mind-numbing. It is no wonder our government has grown so large…. Simplicity and common sense has escaped it.

1 comment:

Scott said...

The bill to which Mr. White refers has now passed the House. It will soon be heard in the Senate.
Unfortunately the Senate is quite backed up because the Senate President refused to allow hearings on any other bills until they passed out a budget, which they did only a little over a week ago. (Grandstanding move that has seriously harmed the productiveness of this session.)
My feeling is that it will pass in the Senate, probably along party lines. I also believe Gov. Brewer will sign it.